While dragging my ass to the store today, I saw something I never thought I'd see in our little neck of the woods. The shock quickly turned to anxiety when I thought of what my options were. Then to frustration.
While in the frozen food section, I noticed a lady dressed like it was 30 below, even though it was in the 70's. I thought it was odd, but quickly put it out of my mind since I was in pain and in a hurry to get home.
As I walked out of the store, there she was outside the door. With a shopping cart, moving things around from a store plastic bag, to a big black garbage bag. I wanted to ask her if I could help her with something.
Instead I walked to my car. Another lady was parked next to me and we happened to be loading up at the same time. I asked her if that lady was homeless. She said she has seen her around before, "dressed like it's winter when it's 100 degrees out, and kids were being mean to her."
I said I wanted to help, but what do you do. Do you go over and say "excuse me, are you homeless?" I thought that would be rather crude, don't you? I wanted to pick her up and take her home with me.
I called Mr Buzz from the parking lot to tell him I was running late. I watched the homeless lady push her shopping cart a few feet, light a smoke, walk around a little, fuss with her bags in her shopping cart and repeat the process a few times.
I just sat there wondering what I could do. It tore at my heart strings. I can't believe I actually decided not to take her to my house because it was such a mess. I feel like shit!
What would YOU have done?
No comments:
Post a Comment